Deadline: 16th December 2019, 11pm
Festival Dates: 23 – 27 June 2020
We are thrilled to announce that submissions for BE FESTIVAL 2020 are now open!
BE FESTIVAL is Birmingham’s annual summer festival of international arts. It aims to uncover exciting artists, theatre makers and companies making work across Europe and bring them together for a week-long celebration of theatre, dance, circus, site-specific and visual arts.
We look for work that crosses borders (linguistic, cultural, artistic), pushes boundaries and can connect/inspire people of all nationalities. Continuing with the topic opened in 2019, we will be paying particular attention to work related to the themes of archive and memory.
Who can apply?
Companies from across Europe can apply either with a finished show or with a piece that is still in development. Performances at BE can be no longer than 30 minutes, longer shows can be adapted to 30 minutes. The festival also welcomes applications from artists specialising in site-specific work; again this can be a show already in existence or the idea for one.
BE FESTIVAL is an invaluable showcase opportunity as performances are watched by national and international programmers and producers. Companies who performed at BE have since been programmed at London International Mime Festival, The Barbican, South Bank Centre, The Lowry, Traverse Theatre, Bilbao ACT Festival, Rome Short Theatre Festival, FITT Festival and Sarajevo MESS Festival to name a few. Furthermore, it’s a space to meet other artists, explore ideas and build new collaborations across Europe.
Selected companies will receive:
- Return travel
- Meals throughout the festival (23-27 June)
- Transport in Birmingham
- A minimum fee of £100 per performer. This is based on helping with one performance and a 30 minute length.
- Free access to all of the performance programme, world-class workshops, feedback, discussions and opportunities for professional development.
BE FESTIVAL also invites a jury panel to award prizes at BE FESTIVAL including a funded residency to develop your work and perform it at BE FESTIVAL the following year or paid performances at other European festivals. Alongside these prizes, three companies will be given two paid Touring Prizes to 14 venues across the UK and Spain in Autumn and Spring.
BE FESTIVAL is part of the Creative Europe funded project SHIFT KEY in partnership with festivals FESTIVAL MESS Sarajevo, BILBAO ACT FESTIVAL, SHORT THEATRE ROME and ITS FESTIVAL AMSTERDAM.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 16 December 2019, 11pm.
To be considered for a place in the BE FESTIVAL 2020:
- Fill in the application form for general programme found here.
- Fill in the application form for Site Specific found here.
- include a video of your piece or/and of previous work if applying with work in development.
- Upload a vimeo/youtube link or send us a video via wetransfer.
- If you are applying with a site-specific piece you will have to include a brief budget for the project.
For further questions email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or via facebook, we will try to get back to you as soon as we can.